Or, finally you can get the best parts of a BLT in spreadable form without having to eat any pesky fiber parts
Note: Our contest is over, but the folks at BaconSalt are running a promotion to get free Baconnaise for a year.
I was alerted to Baconnaise by a thread on the IHMMB forums and knew right then and there that I had to have some. It’s a bacon flavored spread made by the same guys that brought us Bacon Salt. Right now, it has a limited distribution in brick and mortar stores, but Amazon has a 3 pack for just under $14 and I have Prime 2 day shipping, so it was all systems go for an impulse bacon flavored spread buy!
I knew the jars would be here on Wednesday and my plan was to go to the grocery on Wednesday morning for buns, lettuce and tomatoes. Alas, one of my children had an ominous tummy ache that made traveling outside the house inadvisable so I asked my husband to pick up the buns from Circle K on the way home from work and I would just serve them topped with caramelized onions. Yum.
Only he forgot the buns and I had a super crazy day and forgot that I totally suck at making my own burger patties. They start off the right size but shrink down into puny, sad little pucks of beef. They are still tasty and juicy but leave a lot of empty bun space. And I was frazzled so everything was a mess and I dropped half of the oven baked fries on the floor.
But you know what? The baconnaise made it all worth it. It was smoky! It was rich! It was bacon-y! It was as if somebody scraped off my favorite parts of the BLT and whirred it in a blender and put it in a jar. My only complaint was that it was just a bit on the salty side, but that is easily remedied by using it sparingly. It’s not salty inedible, more like dang, should I be eating something so deliciously salty?
It was good dipped in the oven fries, although they were kind of cold by the time I got to them. Not the baconnaise’s fault. It’s a bit rich and strongly bacony for me to use as a straight dip, I’d probably cut it with something else
This morning we had a cheeseburger left over and I thought you know what? I haven’t had a fried egg topped burger in forever! So I loaded up a Wonderbread bun (all they had at the gas station) with the baconnaise, the cheeseburger, the leftover onions and a once over easy egg.
And you know what? It was delicious in a wow, I probably shouldn’t have had donuts this morning if I was going to eat this, too sort of way.
BTW, I had to take it outside to photograph because everywhere I stood my own shadow was on the burger! I really need to learn food photography!
And now for the contest details!
I enjoyed the baconnaise so much that I want to share it with one of my readers! Just leave a comment on what you’d like to try baconnaise on. I’ll take the ideas I like best and try them myself! The winner will be chosen at random using a random number generator.
How to enter
- Comment on this post and tell me how you’d use baconnaise!
- Tweet the link to this post and tell me about it in the comments for an extra entry!
- Stumble this post (leave a comment with your stumble ID so I can verify)
- Mention this contest in your blog (leave a link in the comments so I can verify and give you a visit!)
- Prize available only in the continental USA.
- You can enter as often as you wish, but I reserve the right to toss out entries I consider spam.
- Please remember to make a separate comment to let me know of each way you have entered (twitter, stumble, blog).
- Contest closes 11.59 PM CST February 15, 2009. I will draw a winner the morning of February 16th and announce it on this post. I will also email the winner, so please use a valid email address to comment.
- If I do not hear from the winner within 3 business days, I will choose a new winner.
- Drawing will be by numbering all comments and using Random.org to choose a random number. If a number that corresponds with a comment by me is made, I will draw another number.
We are also running a $25 iTunes gift card giveaway – you can read the rules and details at the bottom of my review of the He’s Just Not That Into You Soundtrack.
The winner is comment #78 posted by Holly B! Thanks to everyone who entered and check back for more great giveaways!